Feedback Map Showcase

weaslex

Rookie
So... I'm a first time poster, and I'm really needing some feedback on one of my latest maps for my PK fan game I'm building. Keep in mind, the set is a mix from Morlockhater, Tori Bird and a few others, I take 0 credit in the sprite work other than a few recolors for the light house. Anyway, this is my map on Vermillion City. Let me know where I need to improve, and be brutal if you need to, I'ma big boy, I can take it. =3

HollowGap

How am I still alive
When it comes to tiles, you should try to the ones with consistent style. For example, while the tiles are mostly giving gen 4 vibes, some belong to gen 3 (like the tall tower in the first map). You should also pay attention to tiles with solid black outline and dark gradient outline. Easier to spot is the shadow: decide whether to use them or not (I heard people prefer using shadow, though).

I see these screenshot is actually parts of one big town map. I see a lot of building, but maybe too many different building. Unless you're building all-in-one town or something similar to Emerald's Battle Frontier, you should cut down to the essentials only. Players usually won't visit a building twice if there's nothing important in it.

Also, a building on the pier is placed on top of the water. The position is awkward and blocking the path to one tile only, making it too narrow to pass.

weaslex

Rookie
When it comes to tiles, you should try to the ones with consistent style. For example, while the tiles are mostly giving gen 4 vibes, some belong to gen 3 (like the tall tower in the first map). You should also pay attention to tiles with solid black outline and dark gradient outline. Easier to spot is the shadow: decide whether to use them or not (I heard people prefer using shadow, though).

I see these screenshot is actually parts of one big town map. I see a lot of building, but maybe too many different building. Unless you're building all-in-one town or something similar to Emerald's Battle Frontier, you should cut down to the essentials only. Players usually won't visit a building twice if there's nothing important in it.

Also, a building on the pier is placed on top of the water. The position is awkward and blocking the path to one tile only, making it too narrow to pass.
Cool, TY for the feedback, I've actually improved some of the recolors for the darker outlines and it looks much better, I'm looking into shadows too, this feedback has really helped. =3

Kawaiiski

Starving Bittersweet Artist
Well, I haven't been around in a while, been busy with my art and job-hunting, so haven't had time to hang out... *sobs on floor* anyhow, this map bothers me a bit, and I think I know why; everything's kinda streamlined, and it makes pathways, cliffs, and grass, that's supposed to be organic... not be that. There's two houses on the same side of the road as well, which looks rather jarring. Rework a few things overall and this can be a pretty solid map.

OP
OP
Deo

Deo

Ex-Staff
Digging it, I like the bottom route a fair bit! It reminds me of both Kanto and Johto in a weird way? Fences are really underrated when it comes to routes.

The town feels a little off balance to me; mainly having the main road through town be only three tiles wide while the house above the Pokemon center gets a four wide road. Otherwise I like it!

It's also worth mentioning that there's a couple of tile errors with the tree side pieces on the southern part of the route map by the mountain and water. There's also no... what do you call them... pebbles? In the dirt road for the town where as you have them for the route. Neither of these are major though.

everything's kinda streamlined, and it makes pathways, cliffs, and grass, that's supposed to be organic... not be that.
Respectfully, I disagree entirely with the notion that a Game Freak style map needs to have "natural/organic" paths and mountains. If this was a map aimed at being more "natural" than Game Freak's maps, sure, but this isn't a map shooting for that style. At their core these sorts of maps are focused on gameplay and streamlining things for a smoother experience in game.

Kawaiiski

Starving Bittersweet Artist
Respectfully, I disagree entirely with the notion that a Game Freak style map needs to have "natural/organic" paths and mountains. If this was a map aimed at being more "natural" than Game Freak's maps, sure, but this isn't a map shooting for that style. At their core these sorts of maps are focused on gameplay and streamlining things for a smoother experience in game.
Yeah, I can see that. Was never really a fan of the Game Freak style of this particular Gen, though. It worked well for back in the day, but seeing it now shows how somewhat flawed it is. I think it can be organic with a mix of Game Freak, but that's just me. It might just be the top-most part that's bothering me, the bottom is be fine. We'll leave it up to the map maker, I suppose!

leilou

A wild Minun appeared!
I really like your map ... you managed to make looking at it a pleasure because the main attraction is in the middle and it kinda fades out to the sides ... and I really like the tileset too ... plus you managed to place the npcs in a way they say something about the map

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet
The one thing that jumps out at me is that it's rather empty. Try adding a few extra trees or rocks or small flowers here and there to mix things up a bit, especially in the northern part.

Also, people like to debate this to this day but I've never been a fan of the straight, square-ish tree boundaries (as opposed to this). That's kinda up to you though.

leilou

A wild Minun appeared!
@78cabbage about the layout of the town: I believe it's not possible to see the next house from in front of a house. So there might be navigating issues ... so instead of just decorating I'd actually put those houses closer together. I'm also not sure if the way up alongside the river/lake is to long ... but that depends on the eventing you do there.

The basic layout idea of your town is nice though. It really looks like a peaceful, small village.

You also do a great job at the ground decorating at the upper left house. I'd do that thorough the entire village ... that way it looks nice and is easy to tell where the village ends and the route starts.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
i don't usually post here because it intimidates me but i like this map so here

(I'm aware of some tile errors around the gym and already fixing them)

Mashirosakura

There is only one of many.
i don't usually post here because it intimidates me but i like this map so here

(I'm aware of some tile errors around the gym and already fixing them)
The top waterfall has a lily-pad underneath the waterfall tiles. The building to the right of the right facing bridge doesn't like the tops. The top bridge is missing a bit on the right side.The sandcastle to the right is a different colour to the rest of the sand.The random fence just under that sandcastle is a bit redundant. Otherwise I think its a nice map. Just wondering why it needs to be so big, with all the random mini side areas that just appear to be there to fill up space.

Keileon

Sardonyx's Kyuubi
The top waterfall has a lily-pad underneath the waterfall tiles.
That's actually part of the tile below it. I'll move it so it looks less strange, though, thanks!

The top bridge is missing a bit on the right side.
If it's where I think you're talking about, that's one of the tile errors. Priority got a little messed up somehow, it's been fixed!

The building to the right of the right facing bridge doesn't like the tops.

The sandcastle to the right is a different colour to the rest of the sand.
I actually have no idea what either of these mean.

The random fence just under that sandcastle is a bit redundant.
Ahh wait, do you mean the pillar? If so, it's just decoration.

Otherwise I think its a nice map. Just wondering why it needs to be so big, with all the random mini side areas that just appear to be there to fill up space.
I like big maps, I like decoration, and it's meant to be a large city. Kind of a running thing in our game; maps tend to be pretty large, especially since we found a reliable way to mitigate lag.

Thanks for the critique!

Mashirosakura

There is only one of many.
That's actually part of the tile below it. I'll move it so it looks less strange, though, thanks!

If it's where I think you're talking about, that's one of the tile errors. Priority got a little messed up somehow, it's been fixed!

I actually have no idea what either of these mean.

Ahh wait, do you mean the pillar? If so, it's just decoration.

I like big maps, I like decoration, and it's meant to be a large city. Kind of a running thing in our game; maps tend to be pretty large, especially since we found a reliable way to mitigate lag.

Thanks for the critique!
Sorry I'm not sure why what I wrote turned out like that. I put those errors in a picture below

leilou

A wild Minun appeared!
Operation MoveStuffCloserTogether is completed!

--snip--

Looking for more feedback on the current map. I'm aware that in the screenshot, the rock up north is placed incorrectly, this has been fixed, and as for the water ridges around the north part, I'm eventually going to be making some more tiles to make it much more fluid.
One thing that I noiticed is that these green bushes have a black outline. It doesn't find into the landscape with a more smooth outlining. Also the green of the bush kinda doesn't fit either ... maybe try to recolour it to the colours of the trees and the grass. Black outlining is also on some other tiles ... but the bush is the worst.

Other than that I'd still move the right house a tad downwards and maybe get rid of one apricorn bush and the house towards there.

Maybe have a small land with an item that you can get after obtaining surf behind the small lake on the lower left. Like one that you can see but not reach in the beginning.

You used like 3 different decorations for each house ... try having the same one(either the right flowers, the lower or the bushes ... or 2 of them on every house). That will make the village seem more like one unit. And then using another decoration can be used for another city. That way the cities will be more distinguished and have their own flair just by having different decoration.

The flowers on the top left of your river are very nice. You also varied your path better :)